Matthew J. Lautman
Direct Dial: 412-288-5017
Matthew J. Lautman concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial, bankruptcy and construction litigation matters in both federal and state court. Matt also has experience in private arbitration matters. Matt regularly handles matters in Civil and Bankruptcy Court as well as representing estates clients in Orphans’ Court.
Matt’s commercial litigation experience involves representation of companies in breach of contract claims, negligence claims, collection actions, commercial tenant disputes, commercial foreclosure actions, and products liability matters. Matt represents individuals in shareholder disputes, breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty disputes, fraud claims, and tortious interference actions.
Matt also routinely practices in bankruptcy courts across the country, representing individuals and companies as creditors. Matt routinely represents companies in adversary actions, including preference claims and fraudulent transfer claims. As part of Matt’s bankruptcy and collections practice, Matt consults with clients about their overall credit process, contracting documents, terms and conditions, and works with them to develop procedures that may increase the likelihood of payment or collection.
Matt handles an array of matters in the construction industry including representation of various parties (subcontractors, suppliers, manufacturers) in asserting and defending breach of contract claims, including mechanics lien claims. He also services design professionals, as a member of the firm's Design Professional Liability Practice, by representing architects and engineers in construction defect claims.
Matt has presented educational seminars on various topics, including:
- "Contract Law for Design Professionals"
- "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: Shaking Hands With the Rules"
- "Protect Your Business Now in Case a Customer Stops Paying Later"
- "Considerations When Dealing with a Distressed and/or Bankrupt Customer"
- "The Fair Share Act: How It Changes Comparative Negligence in Pennsylvania"
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- Slippery Rock University, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D. (Class President)
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association (Civil Litigation Section)
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Foundation Young Lawyers Fellows Program
- Board of Directors, Oakland Planning and Development Corporation, 2010-2012
- Leadership Development Initiative XVII, 2009-2010