Samuel H. Simon
Direct Dial: 412-288-2263
Samuel H. Simon heads the Litigation Group. He practices in all areas of civil law but focuses primarily on commercial/business litigation, construction and environmental litigation, and creditors' rights. Sam also leads the Design Professional Liability Practice, which focuses on representation of architects and engineers.
Sam has acted as lead counsel in a wide variety of business, construction and environmental disputes involving such matters as:
- Representing an architectural firm in a claim regarding alleged faulty design specifications;
- Representing a nationwide retailer on multiple breach of contract disputes throughout the country;
- Representing an engineering firm in a claim of design negligence regarding a flow meter found in multiple nuclear reactors;
- Representing an environmental remediation company regarding a claim of negligence in its remediation of the site;
- Representing an engineering firm in a claim of design negligence regarding a safety valve on a natural gas expansion tank;
- Representing physicians, sales personnel, and information technology specialists in the prosecution and defense of restrictive covenants.
Prior to joining Houston Harbaugh, Sam was with the Columbus, Ohio law firm of Isaac, Brant, Ledman and Teeter, LLP. While at Isaac Brant, Sam represented clients in a wide variety of cases ranging from the defense of environmental remediation companies involved in construction disputes to the defense of numerous Ohio Deputy Sheriffs named as defendants in civil rights actions.
Prior to joining Isaac Brant, Sam spent five years as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio. While serving as an Assistant Attorney General, Sam represented the Ohio Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Surveyors, the Ohio Department of Commerce, Ohio Division of Securities, Ohio Division of Real Estate, and the Ohio Division of Financial Institutions.
Sam has successfully represented corporations, individuals, and state agencies before state and federal trial and appellate courts. While an Assistant Attorney General, Sam was awarded the Jeffrey Goldsmith Outstanding Attorney Award by the Business and Government Regulations Section of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office and co-authored a manual on administrative law in Ohio. Sam has spoken on many occasions to various professional organizations and corporations on litigation and business-related topics.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of Ohio
- State of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S.
- University of Akron, J.D.,
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, Duquesne University School of Law “Federal Civil Litigation” course.