James W. Southworth
Direct Dial: (412) 288-2264
James W. Southworth concentrates his practice in the area of labor and employment law. He represents clients in varying industries, such as health care, construction and manufacturing. Prior to attending law school, Jim worked as a Human Resource Manager for a large healthcare system.
Jim regularly counsels employers on all aspects of employment law, including hiring, firing, discrimination and other employment issues. He has good working relationships with government agencies in this area as well, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. Jim has strong court room and litigation skills as well for handling the claims that proceed to court or arbitration. A main focus of our practice, however, is preventive to assist employers in obtaining their business goals while minimizing litigation expense.
As a former professional public speaker, Jim frequently presents seminars on employment-related topics including the ADA, FMLA, hiring and firing, drug and alcohol policies as well as wellness programs. He has extensive experience in presenting seminars to managers and supervisors, as well as executive leadership, customized to meet the specific needs of the client.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Western Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court, Pennsylvania
- Baptist Bible College, Bachelor of Science, 1986
- Dallas Theological Seminary, Masters in Theology, 1991
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Law, J.D., 2005
- Board of Directors, Labor and Employment Law section of the Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association