Copyright Litigation and Prosecution
Intellectual Property Law Firm
What is a copyright?
A copyright is a form of protection for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Copyright protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works; copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.
Do copyrights have to be registered?
While copyright registration is not required in order for a work of authorship to be protected, we recommend that our clients register their original works for many reasons. First, clients want to have a certificate of registration and have their copyright information on the public record. Also, a work must be registered in order for a client to be eligible for statutory damages and attorney’s fees in successful litigation. Furthermore, a registration is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law if the registration occurs within five years of publication. We assist our clients in this process by preparing and filing the required application, fee and copies of the work to be registered with the Copyright Office.
In addition to registering copyrights for our clients, we also represent our clients in litigation matters involving copyrights. We have represented various clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in copyright infringement cases in federal court. We have also represented a client that was sued for copyright infringement involving computer software.
Contact Our Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Lawyers Today: Business Litigation. Pittsburgh Strong.®
Contact Attorney Henry Sneath, chair of our Intellectual Property Group, at 412-288-4013. Our PSMN ® copyright and trademark lawyers help clients navigate intellectual property including trademarks and copyrights by providing them with the knowledge and information needed to make informed decisions.
- Representation of battery testing manufacturer in litigation and on appeal.
- Representation of a commercial lighting manufacturer in litigating patent infringement claims.
- Representation of medical and pharmaceutical products manufacturers in patent, unfair competition and false advertising matters.
- The representation of a metals manufacturer in a trademark dispute.
- Advising a small business client regarding copyright and trademark rights and defending his business against attempts to invalidate those rights.
- Defending a natural gas exploration company against a patent invalidation lawsuit and prosecuting a counterclaim for patent infringement.
- The representation of minority members of a green technology limited liability company in a shareholders’ derivative action against the majority member for violations of RICO, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- The representation of a Fortune 500 telecommunications company against a foreign manufacturer for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract.
- Representation of a telecommunications company in federal litigation brought under Federal Trademark Dilution Act and Digital Millennium Copyright Act by a designer and manufacturer of networked communications systems and related software.
- Representation of a Dutch corporation which owned the exclusive rights and license
to the “total image” of one of the world’s foremost tennis superstars in action against defendant corporation for breach of endorsement contracts.
- Advising a franchise business regarding the need for specialty intellectual property insurance coverage and reviewing several competing proposed insurance policies.
- Providing opinions and opinion letters to individuals and companies on patent and trademark rights, risks and liabilities.
- Representing employers and employees in disputes over intellectual property licensing, royalties and ownership.
- Defending Fortune 500 and mid-sized companies against claims of patent infringement.