Brandon concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith litigation and complex commercial and business litigation. He has represented insurance companies in a wide array of coverage disputes in trial courts and on appeal in both state and federal court. He has litigated and counseled clients on issues involving numerous types of commercial and personal lines insurance policies, including commercial general liability, excess and umbrella liability, directors and officers liability, professional liability, environmental liability, builders’ risk, commercial property, auto liability, homeowners insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, specified disease insurance, and long and short term care insurance. Brandon’s coverage matters have included disputes over coverage for construction defects, environmental contamination, latent and progressive injuries, auto liability/UIM, and first-party property losses. He also regularly represents insurers in high-exposure bad faith claims, and has represented insurers, brokers and agents in claims for violation of consumer protection laws. In addition, Brandon frequently provides insurance coverage opinions and advice to insurers throughout the claims handling process.
Brandon also has substantial experience representing businesses and individuals in a wide variety of complex litigation matters including cases involving restrictive covenants and trade secrets, breach of commercial contracts, professional liability of accountants and engineers, products liability, civil rights of public-sector employees, property damage and personal injury.
He is an active member of the Insurance Law Committee of DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar and the Allegheny County Bar Association where he has taken on multiple leadership roles. He also regularly publishes articles and speaks on insurance law and bad faith topics. Brandon is also a graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy which was held at Stanford Law School. He has been selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer Rising Star continually since 2013.
During law school, Brandon completed judicial internships with the Honorable Joy Flowers Conti of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Honorable John A. Zottola of the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. He also served as a law clerk for the staff counsel for a major insurance company.
- Auto Claims in Pennsylvania,DRI Webcast, May 24, 2019
- Unfair Claims Settlement Practices and the Related Ethical Ramifications,DRI Northeast Regional Claims Conference September 27, 2018 | Hartford, CT
- Now It’s Personal: First-Party Bad Faith,DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, March 23, 2018 | Chicago, IL
- Editor in Chief and Co-Author of Pennsylvania Chapter,DRI Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Compendium
- Federal Jurisdiction in Declaratory Judgment Actions Involving Insurance,For the Defense, Vol. 59, No. 10 | October 2017
- Regional Editor and Co-Author of Pennsylvania Chapter, DRI Duty to Defend Compendium,February 2016
- Editor in Chief, “Point of Law” – the E-Newsletter of the Allegheny County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (First Place Winner of American Bar Association Award for best Young Lawyer Division Newsletter) 2015 – 2016
- Contributor, Business Litigation Update Section of Pennsylvania Bar Association Civil Litigation Newsletter, 2011 – 2015
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Insurance Law 101 Lunch and Learn, December 9, 2013
- Representation of insurer in suit involving dispute over coverage for a product manufacturer for death claims arising from an airplane crash. Motion for judgment on the pleadings granted to insurer. The Charter Oak Fire Ins. Co. v. Interface Performance Materials, Inc., 2018 WL 5297737 (E.D. Pa. Oct. 25, 2018).
- Representation of insurer in suit seeking coverage for claims involving construct defects in planned residential development. Summary judgment granted to insurer. Northridge Village, L.P. v. The Travelers Indemnity Co., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 140541 (E.D. Pa. Aug. 31, 2017).
- Representation of insurer in coverage and bad faith action involving claims for coverage under a specified disease cancer insurance policy. Reported decision: Rancosky v. Washington National Insurance Company, 170 A.3d 364 (Pa. 2017).
- Representation of auto insurers in cases involving validity of uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage rejection forms. Reported decision, e.g.: Petty v. Federated Mutual Ins. Co., 152 A.3d 1020 (Pa. Super. 2017).
- Representation of insurer in coverage and bad faith action involving construction defects in an elementary school.
- Representation of excess insurers in coverage actions involving underlying claims arising out of exposure to asbestos, silica and coal dust.
- Representation of insurer and reinsurer in coverage and bad faith action involving third-party claims arising from fire involving commercial farming equipment.
- Representation of commercial auto insurer in coverage and bad faith action arising from cancellation of policy.
- Representation of insurer in suit seeking coverage arising from clean-up costs for environmental contamination as a result of a waste-water spill at an oil and gas drilling site.
- Representation of insurer in bad faith action arising out of dispute for underinsured motorist coverage.
- Representation of insurer in coverage and bad faith action involving dispute over liability coverage for equipment servicing company arising from claims for property damage to a high rise building.
- Representation of insurer in suit involving insurer’s sales practices in selling life insurance, short-term care insurance, and annuities.
- Representation of insurer in suit involving rescission of long-term convalescent care insurance policy.
- Representation of insurer in suit involving dispute with broker over unpaid commissions.
- Representation of a product manufacturer in products liability suit involving claimed severe head injuries. Summary judgment granted in favor of manufacturer. Hook v. Whiting Door Manufacturing Corp., 2019 WL 630324 (W.D. Pa. Feb. 14, 2019).
- Representation of business for claims involving trespass to land and property damage arising from oil and gas drilling operation.
- Representation of national facility services/contract cleaning company in personal injury action. Summary judgment granted to facility services/contract cleaning company.
- Representation of residential property developer in claims against engineering professional for professional negligence and breach of contract.
- Representation of school administrators in civil rights claims stemming from termination of employment and challenging the constitutionality of provisions of the Pennsylvania Public School Code.
- Representation of accounting firm in suit for breach of contract and professional negligence.
- Representation of former employees in suit brought by their former employer asserting trade secret and civil conspiracy claims. Summary judgment granted for former employees.
- Representation of manufacturer in breach of contract dispute with transportation logistics provider.