Brian works with businesses and individuals to find creative solutions to challenging problems. He serves clients as counselor, outside general counsel, and trial lawyer.
An experienced trial lawyer, Brian represents businesses in all types of litigation. Brian works with clients on contract, environmental, product liability, and real estate disputes. He represents businesses in intellectual property disputes involving patents, trademarks, and trade secrets. When disputes arise between business owners, Brian helps clients to understand and enforce their rights. Brian also serves as local counsel to out-of-state lawyers.
Brian has tried cases to juries with excellent results.
To represent clients effectively, Brian enjoys learning about their businesses. For example, Brian completed fall protection training to become certified to climb billboards, escorted a client’s mascots through an international toy fair, and traveled with a client to interview witnesses at a motorcycle expo.
In addition to representing businesses in litigation, Brian serves as outside general counsel in negotiating contracts and providing advice.
Brian has been selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Rising Stars list. He practices in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia, as well as Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation
Brian represents insurance companies in coverage disputes. He has researched and written many insurance coverage opinions.
When clients need to litigate insurance coverage disputes, Brian takes an efficient, practical approach. Brian also defends insurance companies against bad faith claims.
Brian advises businesses in evaluating their insurance coverage positions and identifying potential gaps in their risk management programs. He has experience with many types of insurance policies, including commercial crime, employment practices, excess/umbrella, general liability, marine, and professional liability policies.
Employment and Labor Litigation
Brian defends businesses against discrimination and retaliation claims filed by their employees. He represents businesses in non-compete, trade secret, wage and hour, and whistleblower cases. In addition to litigating cases in state and federal courts, Brian handles administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission.
Brian has significant experience in occupational safety and health matters. He has successfully tried citations before the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and represented businesses in achieving many favorable settlements. Brian enjoys helping businesses to enhance their workplace safety programs.
Brian also advises businesses on employment and labor issues. He works with clients to develop affirmative action plans, employee handbooks, job descriptions, pay equity audits, policies, and restrictive covenants. Brian represents businesses and executives in negotiating employment agreements and severance agreements.
When clients have unionized workforces, Brian provides advice on collective bargaining agreements, labor disputes, and unfair labor practice charges.
- “OSHA in 2021: Planning for the Year Ahead,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2021
- “What to Expect When You’re Expecting OSHA to Visit Your Reopened Workplace,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2020
- “Employers Should Fix These 8 Common Problems With Restrictive Covenants,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2019
- “Is Your Employee Handbook Up to Date? Compare It With This Checklist,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2018
- “Tune Up FMLA Compliance With Top 10 Do’s and Don’ts,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2017
- “The New ADA Regulations: Changes and Potential Impact,” For the Defense (Defense Research Institute), 2012
- Chapters on New Hampshire and Rhode Island, Excess and Umbrella Insurance State-by-State Compendium (Defense Research Institute), 2011
- “Wage and Hour Update 2021,” Moderator, Allegheny County Bar Association, 2021
- “I Like ‘Big Data’ and I Cannot Lie: How Numbers Can, and Should, Affect the Practice of Law in the Future,” Moderator, Allegheny County Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, 2018
- “Discovery Disputes,” Co-Chair, Boston Bar Association, 2014
- “Civil Litigation: An Introduction to the Basics, the Rules, and the Quirks of Practice,” Speaker, myLawCLE, 2013
- “Beyond the Basics of the Litigation Cycle: Written Discovery,” Speaker, Boston Bar Association, 2013
- “Closing the Deal – Mediation Strategy,” Speaker, Boston Association of Claims Executives, 2012
- “Handling a Bankruptcy,” Speaker, Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association, 2011