Assist attorneys in preparing legal documents; ensure compliance with federal laws, court and administrative rules, and court procedures; conduct factual and legal research; prepare witness files; assist in all phases of discovery and court hearings/trials; prepare relevant documents for exhibits and other materials for, and attend depositions, hearings, and trials; gather, review and organize documents for discovery; prepare and produce documents; review records produced by other parties; prepare, review and edit pleadings and discovery requests; summarize deposition and trial transcripts; prepare and arrange for service of subpoenas; schedule court reporters for depositions.
Assist in creating, managing and working in litigation databases such as Concordance for large-scale litigation; review data and documents to determine relevant legal and factual issues and code in electronic litigation databases; scan paper documents to electronic format; index or file document images according to established office procedures.
Prepare and file court documents; be familiar with electronic filing protocol in Federal Bankruptcy, State and Appeals Courts. Assist attorney in title search research in connection with oil and gas rights and related litigation.
Calculate filing dates for court and other filing deadlines; incorporate information into the scheduling calendar to monitor deadlines; notify attorneys and staff of any updates to electronic court dockets.
- 2-4 years of experience performing the work in responsibilities listed above
- Paralegal Certificate or a bachelor’s degree
- Strong organizational skills, ability to monitor deadlines and interact with multiple attorneys
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral)
- Proficient in litigation management databases such as Concordance, Relativity
- Responsive and courteous interaction with clients
- Ability to operate with a minimum of supervision, including consistent follow through on assignments
- Proficient in Microsoft products
Applications or inquiries about this full-time position should be directed to:
Mark E. Hill
Chief Operating Officer
Houston Harbaugh, P.C.
Three Gateway Center
401 Liberty Avenue, 22nd Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1005