Estates and Trusts Legal Secretary
Estates and Trusts Legal Secretary
Houston Harbaugh is a law firm located in downtown Pittsburgh and has 42 lawyers and 33 non-lawyer staff. The firm was founded in 1975 and has earned and enjoyed a great reputation as a law firm and as one of the best places to work in Pittsburgh. We invite you to learn more about the firm at our website, www.hh-law.com. Our law firm is searching for an Estates and Trusts legal secretary, as defined below:
Participate as a team member and support attorneys and others within the Estates and Trusts practice group. The ideal candidate will possess 4+ years of experience as a legal secretary, preferably in Estates and Trusts. The position involves heavy client contact, scheduling, preparing and organizing file materials, and managing administrative aspects of a busy practice.
Some of the key essential functions of this role will be to:
- Support two Partners by ascertaining client and attorney priorities, managing multiple tasks and adjusting focus to meet changing priorities.
- Timely produce written documents that are free of misspellings and grammatical errors.
- Take ownership of attorneys’ calendar. Prompt attorney for deadlines. Anticipate action items before being asked. Schedule meetings, depositions, hearings, mediations and other events, often involving many people, calendar these events, reschedule as necessary, and confirm attendance prior to the event.
- Update client database on an ongoing basis and maintain paper and electronic files that chronicle work done on behalf of clients.
- Provide all required documentation for both client and internal management meetings.
Parameters for success in this role include:
- Maintaining inviolate attorney-client and firm-related confidential communications.
- Communicating clearly, professionally and appropriately, both orally and in writing, with clients, co-workers, outside counsel, interested parties, court personnel, vendors and others.
- Working independently, listening to and taking directions from attorneys; following instructions.
- Utilizing technology to perform job functions quickly and accurately.
- Attending to details, even when under time pressure and despite interruptions.
- Operating office equipment, including scanners, photocopiers, multi-line telephone systems, computers and calendaring systems effectively and efficiently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with superb grammar skills required.
- Proficiency with Word and the MS Office suite of programs, ability to work with the technology common in the legal field (e-filing, electronic document storage and transmission, document-management and software specific to the Estates and Trusts field).
- Working cooperatively with other staff to create and maintain an attractive and harmonious work environment.
- Working knowledge of those Local Rules, Rules of Court, Code of Civil Procedure statutes and Probate Code statutes which govern the appearance, filing and service of estate planning documents, pleadings, discovery and other legal documents.
- This position requires meeting clients, opposing parties and other attorneys, and business attire is required.
Required Experience and Education:
- At least 4 years of legal secretarial experience preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience in Estates and Trusts field preferred.
- College degree preferred, but not required.
- Valid Notary Public Commission is helpful.
Resumes with salary requirements for this full-time position should be directed to [email protected]