Patent Litigation And Appeals
The attorneys at the Pittsburgh law firm of Houston Harbaugh, P.C. have represented plaintiffs and defendants in numerous patent infringement lawsuits throughout the country. Attorneys Henry Sneath
Patent infringement cases are heard exclusively in federal courts, and the federal court in Pittsburgh–the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania–is one of fourteen patent pilot courts throughout the country that have been tasked to specialize in hearing patent cases. The Court has specialized local patent rules that govern these cases. There are currently four specially designated patent judges in the Western District, and the attorneys at Houston Harbaugh have appeared before all of them in patent matters.
In addition to handling patent infringement litigation, our attorneys also handle appeals of patent judgments, which are heard exclusively by the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Houston Harbaugh attorneys counsel clients who are considering filing suit or who have received cease-and-desist letters from patent holders. We can help clients navigate these waters and to conduct the proper due diligence required in these circumstances. We handle all phases of patent litigation, from inception to Markman (claim construction) hearings, discovery, experts, dispositive motions, trial, and post-trial motions.
Houston Harbaugh attorneys have handled patent infringement matters in a wide variety of technology areas, including:
- medical radiation therapy devices
- car battery testers
- well drilling technology
- computer and internet technology
- voice recognition software
- cellular phones
- cable TV set-top boxes
- fuel filters
- lighting fixtures
- farming equipment
- power cabling
- safety knives
- cleaning equipment
- refractory materials
- cat litter
Contact Our Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Lawyers Today: Business Litigation.Pittsburgh Strong. ®
- Representation of battery testing manufacturer in litigation and on appeal.
- Representation of a commercial lighting manufacturer in litigating patent infringement claims.
- Representation of medical and pharmaceutical products manufacturers in patent, unfair competition and false advertising matters.
- The representation of a metals manufacturer in a trademark dispute.
- Advising a small business client regarding copyright and trademark rights and defending his business against attempts to invalidate those rights.
- Defending a natural gas exploration company against a patent invalidation lawsuit and prosecuting a counterclaim for patent infringement.
- The representation of minority members of a green technology limited liability company in a shareholders’ derivative action against the majority member for violations of RICO, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- The representation of a Fortune 500 telecommunications company against a foreign manufacturer for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract.
- Representation of a telecommunications company in federal litigation brought under Federal Trademark Dilution Act and Digital Millennium Copyright Act by a designer and manufacturer of networked communications systems and related software.
- Representation of a Dutch corporation which owned the exclusive rights and license to the “total image” of one of the world’s foremost tennis superstars in action against defendant corporation for breach of endorsement contracts.
- Advising a franchise business regarding the need for specialty intellectual property insurance coverage and reviewing several competing proposed insurance policies.
- Providing opinions and opinion letters to individuals and companies on patent and trademark rights, risks and liabilities.
- Representing employers and employees in disputes over intellectual property licensing, royalties and ownership.
- Defending Fortune 500 and mid-sized companies against claims of patent infringement.