A litigation attorney, Kelly’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including intellectual property and product liability matters. She handles all phases of litigation in state and federal courts and has overseen large scale e-discovery.
Her experience includes defending corporations against trademark and copyright infringement claims, unfair competition claims, trade secret litigation, commercial disparagement claims and serving as local patent infringement counsel. Her product liability experience includes a putative class action matter in federal court, among others.
Kelly also has experience litigating insurance coverage, breach of contract, defamation, negligence, breach of warranty, construction disputes, and employment disputes. She is also local Pennsylvania counsel for a national underground utility locating company.
Kelly is actively involved, taking on leadership roles, with the Pennsylvania and Allegheny County Bar Associations, DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar, and the USLAW Network.
- Volunteer, Allegheny County Child Custody Conciliation Program
- Volunteer, Allegheny County Criminal Records Expungement Project
- Board Member, Sojourner House, Pittsburgh
- Pennsylvania counsel to underground locating contractor (Pennsylvania). Representing underground utility locating company as local counsel in multiple matters involving property damage claims arising from damage to underground utilities. Some cases tried to defense verdict; others settled before trial.
- Insurer v. Insurer (Pittsburgh, PA). Represented defendant insurance company against claim that it owed insurance coverage for claims against its insured, a contractor, for property damage arising from municipal sewer project. Case settled before trial.
- Home Owner v. National Product Manufacturer (Pittsburgh, PA). Acted as local counsel and assisted lead trial counsel in obtaining summary judgment in putative class action suit.
- Tenant v. Apartment Complex Owner and Leasing Agent (Allegheny County, PA). Lead trial counsel, defended property owner and leasing agent in civil suit brought by tenant for negligence in maintaining common area of apartment complex. Case settled before trial.
- Business v. General Contractor (Schuylkill County, PA). Assisted lead trial counsel in defending general contractor in complex multi-party litigation against breach of contract and warranty claims arising from concrete floor. Case settled before trial.
- Restaurant Group v. National Insurance Company Federal District Court ( Pittsburgh , Pa.). Assisted with drafting successful motion for summary judgment on behalf of insurer in civil suit brought by insured for insurance coverage for underlying class action based upon the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA).
- Smith v. National Life Insurance Company Federal District Court (Pittsburgh , Pa. ). Assisted lead trial counsel with obtaining defense verdict and winning counterclaim, including an award of attorneys’ fees, in a jury trial on behalf of insurer. Plaintiff brought a civil suit alleging wrongful denial of life insurance benefits. Defended and countersued on the bases of fraud and breach of contract due to plaintiff’s misrepresentations regarding the status of his health. The decision was upheld on appeal.
- ABC Company v. XYZ Company Federal District Court ( Pittsburgh , Pa. ). Assisted with representation of defendant business in civil suit brought by business competitor for trademark infringement and unfair business competition. Case settled shortly before trial.
- Manufacturer Corp. v. Distributor Corp Federal District Court ( Pittsburgh , Pa. ). Assisted lead trial counsel in obtaining verdict in favor of company against its former distributor for trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Widow v. ABC Life Insurance Company Federal District Court (Pittsburgh , Pa. ). Obtained summary judgment on behalf of insurance company. Plaintiff filed suit claiming insurer had breached life insurance policy allegedly issued to her decedent husband. Successfully argued that no policy of insurance was ever in force between insurer and decedent husband.
- Jones v. ABC Manufacturing Company Federal District Court (Pittsburgh , Pa. ). Assisted lead trial counsel in obtaining verdict for plaintiff injured by defective machinery during the course of his employment.
- Father and Minor Son v. XYZ Manufacturing Company ( Allegheny County , Pa. ). Assisted in defending equipment manufacturer against strict product liability claims arising from injuries to four-year old child. Case settled before trial.