A litigation attorney, Brandon concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith litigation and complex commercial and business litigation. He has represented insurance companies in a wide array of coverage disputes in trial courts and on appeal in both state and federal court. He has litigated and counseled clients on issues involving numerous types of commercial and personal lines insurance policies, including commercial general liability, excess and umbrella liability, directors and officers liability, professional liability, environmental liability, builders’ risk, commercial property, auto liability, homeowners insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, specified disease insurance, and long and short term care insurance. Brandon’s coverage matters have included disputes over coverage for construction defects, environmental contamination, latent and progressive injuries, auto liability/UIM, and first-party property losses. He also regularly represents insurers in high-exposure bad faith claims, and has represented insurers, brokers and agents in claims for violation of consumer protection laws. In addition, Brandon frequently provides insurance coverage opinions and advice to insurers throughout the claims handling process.
Brandon also has substantial experience representing businesses and individuals in cases involving restrictive covenants and trade secrets, breach of commercial contracts, professional liability of accountants, products liability, civil rights of public-sector employees, property damage and personal injury.
He is an active member of the Insurance Law Committee of DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar and the Allegheny County Bar Association where he has taken on multiple leadership roles. He also regularly publishes articles and speaks on insurance law and bad faith topics.
While in law school, Brandon was a student attorney for the Duquesne University School of Law Securities Arbitration Practicum, representing low income investors in resolving disputes with investment professionals, as well as a Staff Writer/Editor for the Duquesne Business Law Journal. During his law school career, he completed judicial internships with the Honorable Joy Flowers Conti of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Honorable John A. Zottola of the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. He also served as a law clerk for the staff counsel for a major insurance company.
Brandon is also a graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy which was held at Stanford Law School.
- “Unfair Claims Settlement Practices and the Related Ethical Ramifications,” DRI Northeast Regional Claims Conference
September 27, 2018 | Hartford, CT
- “Now It’s Personal: First-Party Bad Faith,” DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute
March 23, 2018 | Chicago, IL
- Editor in Chief and Co-Author of Pennsylvania Chapter, DRI Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Compendium
- Federal Jurisdiction in Declaratory Judgment Actions Involving Insurance
For the Defense, Vol. 59, No. 10 | October 2017
- Regional Editor and Co-Author of Pennsylvania Chapter, DRI Duty to Defend Compendium
- Editor in Chief, “Point of Law” – the E-Newsletter of the Allegheny County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (First Place Winner of American Bar Association Award for best Young Lawyer Division Newsletter)
2015 – 2016
- Contributor, Business Litigation Update Section of Pennsylvania Bar Association Civil Litigation Newsletter
2011 – 2015
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Insurance Law 101 Lunch and Learn
December 9, 2013