Co-chair of Houston Harbaugh’s Litigation Practice Group, Sam has extensive courtroom trial and appellate experience in many areas of civil law with a particular focus on commercial, business and construction litigation. Sam regularly represents business and individual clients in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio in the construction, manufacturing, oil and gas, and wholesale/retail/ distribution industries, as well as in matters such as:
- Construction litigation
- Environmental litigation
- Breach of contract disputes
- Oil and gas litigation
- Restrictive covenants
- Civil rights
- Collections/creditors’ rights
- Lease disputes
- Probate, estate, and trust litigation
Sam represents architects and engineers in construction defect lawsuits that involve such matters as faulty design specification claims and design negligence claims. His work in this professional liability arena covers many areas of West Virginia and Ohio, along with his home base in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is also growing the firms substantial oil and gas landowner and leaseholder practice in all three states. This litigation and counseling work deriving from the Marcellus and Utica shale plays is done as a joint venture with our firm’s Oil and Gas Practice Group.
Prior to joining Houston Harbaugh, Sam practiced law in the state of Ohio for eight years where he handled business disputes as well as defense of civil rights for government employees. Sam also served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio and represented a number of governmental agencies, including the Ohio Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Surveyors, the Ohio Division of Securities, and the Ohio Division of Real Estate. While an Assistant Attorney General, Sam was awarded the Jeffrey Goldsmith Outstanding Attorney Award by the Business and Government Regulations Section of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.
Sam regularly speaks and presents on litigation and business-related topics to professional organizations and corporations and has published a number of articles on his practice specialty areas. Currently, Sam is also an Adjunct Professor of Law teaching Federal Civil Rights Litigation at the Duquesne University School of Law where he guides students through the civil rights process of an actual federally-appointed case.
In the Media
Land owner seeks compensation from EQT for sale of hydrocarbons
West Virginia Record, June 5, 2018
- Volunteer, Fox Chapel Youth Sports”
- Represented land owner seeking compensation from EQT for sale of hydrocarbons.
- Represented a Western Pennsylvania-based mineral resources producer in matters regarding pollution claims.
- Represented an architectural firm in a claim regarding alleged faulty design specifications.
- Represented a nationwide retailer in multiple breach of contract disputes, secured claims and bankruptcy preference actions throughout the country.
- Represented an engineering firm in a claim of design negligence regarding a safety valve on a natural gas expansion tank.
- Represented physicians, sales personnel, and information technology specialists in the prosecution and defense of restrictive covenants.