A health care lawyer and Chair of the firm’s Health Care Law Practice, Sarah provides legal guidance and serves as outside general counsel to health care entities and practices of all types including hospitals, group practices, ambulatory surgical centers, clinical laboratories, home health care agencies, behavioral health clinics, concierge and non-traditional health care practices, as well as individual physicians. She also works with senior management and boards on all aspects of corporate, non-profit, and health care compliance and regulation.
Sarah’s experience includes:
- Joint ventures and affiliations
- Governance and risk management
- Federal and state regulatory matters
- Fraud and abuse laws
- HIPAA and ACA compliance
- Physician recruitment and contracting
- Medical staff issues
- Third party payor reimbursement
- Employee relations
- Medical marijuana guidance
- Board Member, Pittsburgh Pro Bono Partnership
- Past Board Member, 412 Food Rescue
- Past Board Member, Neighborhood Legal Services Association
- Past Board Member, Allegheny Youth Development
Pennsylvania’s Temporary Medical Marijuana Regulations – What Physicians Need to Know
Western Pennsylvania Healthcare News | 8.30.2016
Anesthesia ‘Company Model’ Raises Fraud and Abuse Concerns
co-authored with Robert B. Hoffman
The Sentinel: Pennsylvania Society of Anesthesiologists Newsletter | Winter 2012/2013
PPACA Changes to Stark Law Effective in 2011
Western PA Hospital News | 1.2011
Successor Liability in New York Post-Berger
co-authored with Jeffery Alexander
Health Law Journal | Winter 2009
- Assisted hospital in affiliation/joint venture process from RFP through governance transition.
- Assisted in structuring hospital EMR patient portal system to be compliant with state laws pertaining to medical legal rights of minors as well as HIPAA.
- Assisted hospital with transition to value-based physician compensation model for new physician employment agreements, and negotiated revised contracts with currently employed physicians.
- Provided counsel to non-traditional medical practice on fraud and abuse compliance relating to patient referral program.
- Acted as outside counsel to lab providing mobile health screenings and assisted in expansion of services to over 20 states.
- Assisted physicians transitioning to concierge practice with practice formation, structure, and Medicare opt-out.
- Secured no-fault finding from HHS Office for Civil Rights against hospital facing HIPAA and patient confidentiality breach claims.