Products Liability Litigation
Products Liability Litigation
- Galloway v. Beckwith Machinery and Caterpillar, Inc. – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Successfully defended Beckwith Machinery against products liability claims brought by plaintiff. Plaintiff claimed serious brain injury resulting from an alleged design and manufacturing defect in a forklift truck, which had been modified and sold by defendant Beckwith. Plaintiff demanded $7,000,000 for settlement. Jury returned a defense verdict.
- Gallo v. General Motors Corp. – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff claimed unwanted, sudden acceleration of the subject vehicle causing personal injury and property damage. Successfully defended case on behalf of client and obtained defense verdict after jury trial.
- Bayani v. Connors Footwear, Inc. – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff claimed serious orthopaedic injury (trimalleolar fracture of ankle) due to defectively designed clog shoe which allegedly collapsed. Obtained defense verdict on behalf of client manufacturer after jury trial.
- Kaczor v. Icon Health and Fitness, Inc. Federal District Court (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Successfully defended manufacturer of exercise treadmill against claims that an electrical malfunction caused a fire and extensive property damage. Defense verdict obtained on behalf of client at jury trial after prevailing on Daubert motion to strike one of plaintiff’s liability experts.
- Laughery v. Komline-Sanderson Engineering Corp. and Perry Machinery Corp. – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff claimed serious bodily injury when his arm was crushed in a large industrial water filtration device. Plaintiff brought strict products liability and negligence claims involving an alleged failure to properly guard the subject machine. Case settled prior to jury selection.
- White v. Manufacturer, Inc. and Equipment, Inc. (actual names protected) – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff, an airplane pilot, claimed total disability from injuries sustained in an alleged collapse of a home exercise weight-lifting unit. Favorable settlement obtained after successful discovery on damage and medical causation issues.
- Pfab v. Fruehauf Trailers, Inc. and Monsanto, Inc. – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff claimed injury from an alleged product defect in the crank gears used to raise and lower the trailer when disengaged from the tractor. “Nominal” settlement obtained on behalf of defendant Fruehauf.
- Scherer v. Bitting Recreation, Inc. and Gametime, Inc. – Washington County (Washington, Pa.) Minor plaintiff brought personal injury claims of product liability against manufacturer of swing set chains and S-hooks. Obtained defense verdict on behalf of designer and manufacturer after jury trial.
- Webb v. Suzuki Motor Corporation – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff claimed massive injuries as a result of alleged vehicle rollover. Case settled prior to jury selection.
- Smith v. DeMaco Machine Corporation and Maldari & Sons, Inc. – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Successfully defended product liability claims against the defendants wherein plaintiff alleged amputation of part of his foot pursuant to an alleged defect in pasta making equipment. Obtained a “nominal” settlement on behalf of defendant DeMaco just prior to the selection of a jury.
- Reha v. K.S. Wholesalers of America, Inc., Toyotomi USA, Inc. and Kero-sun, Inc. – Greene County (Waynesburg, Pa.) Defended Japanese manufacturer and American supplier of kerosene heaters. Plaintiffs brought bodily injury and property damage claims arising out of a fire which burned and injured various members of two families living in a duplex house in rural Greene County . Plaintiffs alleged product defect in design and manufacture and negligence in failure to warn. Obtained defense verdict on behalf of all defendants following jury trial.
- Saunders v. Coburn Optical Industries, Inc., Sola Optical USA, Inc. and Pilkington Vision Care, Inc. – Federal District Court (Erie, Pa.) Obtained summary judgment on behalf of all defendants on claims brought by plaintiff of design and manufacturing defect in eyeglasses which shattered when plaintiff was assaulted by a psychiatric patient at a mental hospital. Plaintiff lost vision in one eye completely, and partially lost vision in the other eye. Plaintiff sought millions of dollars in damages. Summary judgment granted pursuant to our motion.
- Beronilla v. Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corporation USA – Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Plaintiff brought strict product liability claims of design and manufacturing defect and claims of negligence seeking damages for personal injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of defendant Kawasaki after filing of motion prior to trial.